Main Cabin Extra
A little more of everything
Enjoy more space with Main Cabin Extra seating, starting at $20. Seats are located in Main Cabin and offered on most flights, subject to availability.
Be one of the first to board after elite members with Preferred Group 5 boarding and get easier access to overhead bin space.*
Sit back and relax with more room to stretch out at the front of the Main Cabin.
You can bring 1 personal item and 1 bag with you for free. See all the restrictions before you board.
Free snacks and drinks
Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
Enjoy free movies and TV shows – on screen or your device.
You can buy Wi-Fi on select aircraft so you never miss a beat while you’re on board.
Book your seat
Look for the Main Cabin Extra icon when you choose your seats.
If you've already booked your flight, you can still buy a Main Cabin Extra seat. If you bought a Basic Economy ticket, boarding restrictions still apply.
You can buy Main Cabin Extra through Reservations, select travel agencies and airport self-service kiosks. If you have a credit card stored in your AAdvantage® profile, you can also buy on our mobile app.
Elite member access
Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?
- AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
- oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.
AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members
Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available***
Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service
***Gold members who buy Main Cabin Extra seats on or after September 5, 2018 will no longer receive a 50% discount
- We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
- We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
- You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Main Cabin Extra seats
- Main Cabin Extra seats are on select flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle and subject to availability.
- Seats are non-transferable and valid only on the flight purchased.
- We reserve the right to discontinue the sale of seats or refuse to sell seats to a passenger.
- Fees for seats are non-refundable with some exceptions.
Refunds issued for seats
We'll issue you a refund if:
- We change your flight and we're unable to get you a comparable seat.
- You pay to upgrade to First or Business.
- You pay more for another seat on the same flight (but not if you change to a lower priced or free seat).
- Cancel your flight within 24 hours and booked at least 2 days before departure
Request a refund
You can request a refund online if you paid for seats and you:
Cancel your flight, rebook, and pay for seats on your rebooked flight.
You can also request a refund if we cancel and rebook you on another flight, causing you to miss a connection or you're denied boarding on an oversold flight and we're unable to get you a like seat. For example if we move you from:
- Main Cabin Extra to a preferred or other seat in the Main Cabin
- Main Cabin Extra aisle / window to Main Cabin Extra middle
- Keep in mind you need to submit separate refund requests for your flights, seats and other purchases