All published bag fees are base rates according to travel dates and destination; applicable taxes are not shown.
From charges to weight and size, here's everything about our checked bag policy.
Make your journey easier and discover what to expect when packing your carry-on bag.
There are many common items that are restricted by the TSA.
Special items and sports equipment
From musical instruments to military bags, here's everything you need to know.
Traveling with pets
We’re making your pet our priority. Here are some guidelines to help make your journey smoother.
Traveling with children
Taking a trip with your child or infant can be child’s play. We’ll show you how.
First checked bag free on domestic American Airlines itineraries
Earn 50,000 bonus miles
Your first checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 4 travel companions on the same reservation – that's savings of up to $300 per round trip with the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card. Terms apply.
Paying for bags online
Save time, pay at check-in
Don’t wait in line at the airport – get the best price available and check up to 3 bags when you check-in on aa.com or in the app. For more information about paying for your bags online, visit our customer service FAQs.
How does it work?
- You can pay for up to 3 checked bags (per person) before arriving at the airport. Multiple passengers traveling in the same reservation will need to select bags and check in at a kiosk together.
- Pay during check-in on aa.com or in the app if it’s available for your trip.
- You can pay for bags starting 24 hours and up to 4 hours before your scheduled departure. For departures from Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) or Washington Reagan (DCA), you can pay up to 2 hours before your scheduled departure.
- You can't pay for bags online if you’re waitlisted, standing by for another flight, or had a flight disruption and you haven’t confirmed your new flights.
- You can receive the best price available if you pay for bags online or in the app.
- If you're checking more than 3 bags per person, additional bags must be added at the airport. Oversize, overweight and excess bag charges may apply.
- Charges are calculated based on standard bag sizes for flights, per person, each way.
- You can pay for bags online ahead of time when traveling on eligible American Airlines marketed and operated flights.
- Combined bag fees for multiple passengers: Passengers traveling together in a single reservation with multiple bags will receive the best online bag prices applied across all passengers
- Other special bags with a specific charge (i.e. cabin pets) require payment at the airport.
- Standard baggage terms, conditions and liability standards still apply.
- American Airlines reserves the right to change the rates, terms and conditions at any time before payment, with or without notice.
What if I change my flight?
If you take a different domestic flight than your original flight, you will need to pay for checked bags on your new trip.
Can I get a refund?
If your flight is disrupted or canceled and you decide not to fly, you can request a refund in full to the original form of payment.
Refunds are not available if you:
- Cancel your domestic flight on a non-refundable/non-changeable ticket (includes Basic Economy).
- Decide not to fly without rescheduling or canceling.
- Change your mind and decide you no longer need to bring the number of bags you paid for.
- Have a fully refundable ticket and you wish to refund your ticket (ticket will be refunded but bags won’t).
- Buy or get an upgrade that includes free checked bags.
If you believe you've been incorrectly charged for bag fees, contact an American representative for help or file a refund claim within 45 days.
Bag delivery service
Bypass baggage claim
Whether you're traveling for business or pleasure on your next trip, let us bring your bags to you.
Lost an item?
We can help you
If you’ve lost an item on a plane or in an American-operated area, at the airport or at a security checkpoint, visit our lost and found page and we’ll point you in the right direction.
Let us take care of you
We offer assistance at the airport, on the plane and upon arrival for a variety of needs including traveling with devices, disabilities, children and more.
Flying on a partner airline?
Find helpful information if your trip includes 1 or more flights with our partner airlines.